Certification Requirements: An applicant must be
- a current WSO Affiliate Member
- be of good moral character,
- meet application requirements,
- satisfy the educational and experience criteria,
- pay the required fee.
- pass the written exam
All applications for certification shall be on forms prescribed and furnished by the Board. Processing shall conform with procedures prescribed by the Board.
- Candidate seeking certification as a Certified Safety Instructor (any level) must have at least five
years of verifiable experience in the field of Occupational Safety and Health, Environmental
Safety and Health, or specialized allied area, i.e.: Nuclear Safety, Emergency Response, Aviation
Safety, Vehicular/Fleet Safety, Ergonomics, Industrial Hygiene, Emergency Management, Maritime Safety, Hazardous Materials Management, Industrial Safety, Chemical Safety, Process
Safety Management, Systems Safety, Product Safety, Construction Safety, etc.
- Candidate must hold one of the WSO Professional Certifications (WSO-CSE, WSO-CSM, WSOCSS, or WSO-CSSD), current certification from other certifying groups deemed acceptable to the WSO Certification Board, or 10 years verifiable instructor experience. If Candidate does not hold such a certification or meet the 10-year instructor experience requirement, he/she must obtain a certification prior to application for the WSO-CSI, WSO-CSI(SL), or WSO-CSI(ML).
- All levels require classroom instruction and demonstrated proficiency in an approved Project
- Presentation (for first two levels, this may be a video presentation that is sent in for evaluation). Presentation must be in English language.
- The Master Level requires a graded program proposal, acceptance and development, coupled
with a performance presentation at an annual WSO Conference.
- All three levels require an overall score of 80% from the Review Board for the successful assessment of the presentation by the Review Board.
An application package must contain the following:
- Professional recommendations by at least 2 supervisory personnel and 2 persons who
have received training from the certification applicant.
- Skills demonstration as verified by personal presentation and a video presentation judged appropriately by a Verification Committee consisting of at least three WSO members holding academic degrees, a professional certification and recognized by the Certification Board as having personal skills and demonstrated proficiency in the area of student training and program development. Personal and video presentation must be in English language.
- Development and presentation of an accepted paper/program at an annual WSO conference or program with recommendations from the Verification Committee.
- Applicant must be an Affiliate member of the WSO and hold an appropriate professional certification.